The Military History Museum consists of two parts: an arsenal that was built in 1877 and a new extension designed by U.S. architect Daniel Libeskind and completed in 2011. Shaped like a wedge, the extension cuts through the old arsenal. Both the architecture and the permanent exhibition of the Military History Museum seek to avoid biased presentations and to challenge traditional perspectives. The exhibition confronts the visitor with his or her own potential for aggression and shows violence as a historical, cultural, and anthropological phenomenon. The permanent exhibition encompasses a thematic exhibition in the new extension and a chronological exhibition in the original building. All in all, some 10,000 exhibits are presented in an exhibition area of 13,000 square metres.