The Dresden State Orchestra was founded in 1548 by Maurice, Elector of Saxony. It is one of the world's oldest orchestras. The orchestra is the musical body of the Saxon State Opera and is located at the Semper Opera House. The orchestra has had many eminent chief conductors. Heinrich Schütz was associated with it early in its existence, and in the nineteenth century Carl Maria von Weber and Richard Wagner were both chief conductors.